Homecoming Highlights Reasons to Give
It wasn’t just the weather that was warming up during Homecoming Weekend, held February 10-12 at the Fairfax Campus and at events around the region. Mason’s men’s basketball team continued its hot streak on Saturday evening with a victory over Fordham, pushing its excellent record to 17-8. At the indoor tailgate held before the game, more than 400 alumni, friends, and family members gathered for a raucous party in Dewberry Hall. The spirit of that celebration was heightened by a different brand of spirits: a group of local vintners, distillers, and brewers (including several Mason alumni) were on hand to serve samples of their soul-warming beverages.
Homecoming provided an opportunity for Patriots from multiple generations to reconnect and have fun, as well as to reflect on their reasons for giving back to Mason. As part of the preparation for the university’s first-ever Giving Day, attendees at the tailgate volunteered their personal reasons for giving. Many were shared on social media using the hashtag #Give2Mason. While there are as many reasons to give as there are Mason supporters, some of the most compelling reasons shared included:
- I give back by sharing my Mason story.
- I give to Mason . . . because I love working with students as a mentor!
- Mason helped me achieve my career goal and I want to pay it forward for the next generation of Patriots.
- Gave me courage to start our own business!
- As a scholarship student, I know how much it helped me and I want to help future Patriots.
- I #give2Mason because that’s what alumni do!
The entire Mason Nation will have the opportunity to give and to share their stories on Giving Day, which will be held on Thursday, April 6. We’re hoping to motivate hundreds of new alumni donors to support Mason that day. You can see updates and join the conversation at givingday.gmu.edu.
February 20, 2017 / RR