Mason Alumni Take Greater Roles on University Boards
Across the university, alumni are taking on a larger presence in university boards. This means more voices to represent Mason from the people who studied here. The broader perspectives can help to better address the future needs of students, staff, and the community at large.
Effective July 1, the George Mason University Foundation Board of Trustees welcomed four new members, two of whom are Mason graduates:
- Sumeet Shrivastava, EMBA ’94, the President and CEO of Array Information Technology, is a stalwart volunteer leader for the School of Business, as well as the president-elect of the Alumni Association Board of Directors. Sumeet’s wife and son are Mason alumni, and their other son is set earn his undergraduate degree next year.
- Vijay Venkateswaran, BS Electrical Engineering ’90, is the CEO of Viventum Incorporated, a Fairfax-based strategic management consulting and advisory services company.
And in July, Gov. Ralph Northam appointed four new members to the Board of Visitors. Once again, two of the new additions came from Mason:
- Denise Turner Roth, BA Government and Politics ’99, is the chief development officer of WSP USA, and the former administrator of the U.S. General Services Administration. On top of her undergraduate degree, she was awarded an honorary doctor of humane letters from Mason in recognition of her distinguished public service.
- Paul J. Reagan, JD ’91, is a senior vice president and director of federal public affairs at McGuire Woods Consulting in Washington, D.C. His career in Virginia politics and government spans 35 years in roles from Senator Jim Webb’s chief of staff to serving on the State Board for Community Colleges under Governor Mark Warner.
The Alumni Association Board of Directors also welcomed its new members this month:
- Philip Abbruscato, BA Government and International Politics ’15, JD ’18, is a former Mason student body president who served as president of the Student Bar Association this past year.
- Molly Grimsley, BA Studio Art ’81, serves on the CVPA board and is retired from a career with the Smithsonian Institution.
- Marine veteran Harry Hink, BS Education ’85, is the owner of HB Home Services, a home remodeling company.
- Gleason Rowe, BA Global Affairs and Spanish ’11, is a management analyst at the Department of Homeland Security and a past president of the Mason Ambassadors, as well as past president of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Alumni Chapter.
Jen Shelton, BS Public Administration ’94, continues her service as the incoming president of the Alumni Association. And a big thank you to outgoing president Brian Jones, MA International Commerce and Policy ’06, for his exemplary leadership.
Christopher Bobo / August 15, 2018